Friday 8 March 2013

Very late Christmas post!

Ahhh! I've been super, super busy here in France! So sorry to all you guys who follow me, but this is a series of catch up posts!

First of, a very late Joyeux Noël post! And I want to talk about the awesome food we have here in france around the festive period!

La Buchette de Noël

In all the Boulangeries (a bit like the french version of Greggs...) around Christmas time, you see these cute little mousse cakes, called "little logs". They come in vanille, chocolat and a mix of the two. I personally was only able to try a bit of them as I've recently become lactose intolerant (and I live in Normandy, the cheese capital of France, la chance, eh? ) but I loved the light mousse and cake texture! My boyfriend polished off mine as well as his and he said that they went great avec une tasse de café!


Les huitres
 
Known as oysters to me and you, they're really popular around Christmas in France and are as important to them as smoked salmon in the morning for us in the UK. All my students said they didn't really like them though... me neither! They're like salty slime...

La Foie Gras

Fatty duck's liver, sounds dégoûtante, right? Well, ethically, it's not something that's gonna win any awards, but my word, it is tasty. So much nicer than it looks (really...), it tastes a bit like a Michelin Starred corned beef!

Plateau de fromages
Cheeses from Normandy are famous all over the world, and it comes as no surprise that the French like to have a cheese platter around Christmas (and after nearly every meal, in fact...). The best, I think, is Camembert, the king of the soft cheeses.
 
Before I became lactose intolerant just after Christmas, I used to eat this beautiful cheese every day. Its mild, tasty and really creamy. Way better than cheddar, honestly. Only down side is that it smells like a hiker's feet after a week walking in the Beacons... It was a price well worth paying, I can tell you that! You can buy Camembert in the big supermarkets now-a-days so there's really no excuse to not try it!


Again, sorry for the 3 month hiatus! Life has calmed down a lot now, and I've got time to update you all! :)

And lastly...

A la prochaine!





No comments:

Post a Comment