Tuesday 16 October 2012

My first few weeks

(First of all, sorry for the late post! I've just recently moved and internet has been a bit temperamental- but more about my new place in the next post!) 

So far, it's really been a roller coaster! I've been living with my main teacher for a while in a really great room with my own double bed, tv and internet. Her name is Geneviève and she lives with son mari, qui s'appelle Hervé. They have une fille, qui s'appelle Pauline. They live in Aviron which is the town up from Evreux, which is very much dans la campagne. There is even une ferme at the end of the road with a heap of cows! Cows are pretty common here, seeing as Normandie is the home of great, stinky cheeses, of which I've particularly become fond of Camembert...

Below is a picture of the view from my room at Geneviève's house. Opposite lives one of the english teachers from the other school that I work in, called Francine. 


Here's a picture of my room where I stayed for the past couple of weeks.



Also, something which I found very charming was that the room had un thème maritime.


Also, they have a little dog called Alto, who is very, very mignon. At the time of the photo, il était blessé, so that's why he is wearing a bandage on his leg. Poor Alto!

Alto
While I've been here, I've learnt about une rivière that runs through the city, called the Iton. 




 In the following picture, you can see down the river to the right is something that looks like a chicken coop, but it's not. Its an old bath house, of which there are countless others along the banks of the river. Citizens of the town used to use the river as a communal thing, as well as using it to get clean. At the moment, you can't really see it, but the water is really, really clear. I've seen schools of fish swimming down it like they were swimming through glass. It's quite a pretty river, the Iton.


Also, lastly, while on my travels through the town, I came across an odd sight right in front of the town hall. At first it was just a band doing strange covers of old 70s tunes, in their own special form of english, of course, which was enough to attract my attention. While listening, I noticed a rather large group of kids run in front of the stage and execute a perfectly choreographed dance routine to a song which was well before their time. It was a great experience, and had an air of a flash mob, but really, the other english assistant that I was with at the time and I were totally baffled. It was very odd and I still don't understand what actually happened or why...  Oh well, at least it looked like they were having fun!


Oh Evreux, you never cease to... surprise me. :P



2 comments:

  1. I think that's a herd of cows, not a heap, unless of course foot and mouth has made a tragic return. And what about the food, we need to hear about the food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More about food in posts to come, it's the only thing keeping you all checking back... :P

      Delete